20 Lessons I learned by 40...
Let me be honest with you, in my head I am still 23. Whenever someone asks me how old I am, that is the number that rolls off my tongue. So, the mere fact that today I turned 40, just seems so ridiculous to me!
When I was younger 40, was old. Forty was depicted as middle aged, stuck in a slump, in capable of fun, shall I go on? Here I am, single, in an amazing relationship for 18 years and couldn’t be happier. Do I have life figured out? Hell no! But I have learned so much along the way.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I am not in to birthday celebrations. So don’t expect to see a week of parties on my Instagram feed. There will be no parties, no cakes and let me just put this out there now, if there is, someone will be in big trouble! HaHa.
Here are some really great lessons that I have learned on this journey we call Life 🙂
- Make goals, but don’t settle for less if you don’t meet them by a certain age.
- Don’t feel guilty if you don’t want children. Society doesn’t dictate what is best for YOUR lifestyle.
- You don’t have to get married. More than half of marriages end in divorce, you do you. (yes I may be talking from experience)
- People will never act the way you want them too.
- You shouldn’t have to tell the person you love that you love them all the time, you should feel it in their actions and the way they make you feel.
- A good deed dies when it is spoken about.
- Never act your age.
- Never try keeping up with anyone. You cannot buy happiness.
- At the end of the day, it’s not about what you have. It’s about what you have given back.
- Kindness is free, spread it EVERYWHERE!
- Smile at everyone, you never know what they are going through. That may brighten their day more than you will ever know.
- Happiness is a decision.
- Things and possessions make us happy for only a day or two, wearing off and making us wanting more, but positive experiences and generosity have an ongoing multiplying effect on our happiness.
- Love is never a waste of time.
- No matter how you feel, get up and show up.
- Laugh often, don’t take life so seriously. It flies by.
- Seek respect, not attention.
- If you are having a bad day, just breathe and remember tomorrow is a whole new beginning.
- It’s better to have a few best friends than a handful of friends.
- This is big in the blogging and Instagram world: STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS!