Giouvetsi Greek Stew with Orzo
Giouvetsi a traditional Greek Stew with Orzo
Write a review
- 2 1/2 lbs. Chuck Roast cubed
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 10 oz. Tomato Sauce
- 2 C. of water
- Olive Oil
- S&P to taste
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Pour approximately 2 T. olive oil in dutch oven.
- When the oil is hot work in small batches to brown the meat.
- Once the meat is just browned, remove and set aside.
- Add another 2 T. of olive oil and add the onion.
- Cook the onion until they have become translucent.
- Add the garlic, when that becomes fragrant, add the tomato sauce, water, salt and pepper, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and the beef and its juices back in.
- Bring to a boil for 15 minutes.
- Let the stew simmer for approximately 2-3 hours or until beef is tender.
- NOTE: If you don’t like a strong cinnamon flavor remove the cinnamon stick after 30-45 minutes. If you are baking in the oven set the oven at 350 degrees.
- Make sure the pot is not boiling and add 1 cup of water and 2 cups of orzo.
- Mix well.
- This will take about 20 minutes to cook.
- Cover the pot, but stir occasionally to make sure nothing sticks.
- Make sure the orzo is done, should be soft.
- Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Finish with 3-4 Tablespoons of butter.
- Taste to make sure the seasoning is to your liking.
- Your Giouvetsi is now ready to serve.
- Optional grate fresh Greek Mezithra Cheese on top.
- Let me know how you like it! Would love feedback.
That Windy City Girl https://www.thatwindycitygirl.com/